Biography – Merilyn Steele
Her style could be loosely described perhaps as Americana but certainly not limited to that. Merilyn is a continuously evolving and inspiring artist. Intelligent lyrics, killer hooks and memorable melodies only begin to describe her writing and musical talents.
She has a driving passion for entertaining and a craving to perform. Particularly, she loves the feedback and buzz she gets from a live audience.
Sydney born and bred, it’s hard to figure where Merilyn’s influence to be a singer/songwriter came from. Although both her Mum and Grandmother played piano, it was only for a hobby. It was Merilyn’s Dad who bought her first guitar when she was just 12 and began taking her to music lessons. From there her love of music developed. She wrote her first song at 14 and has continued ever since.
Her musical influences vary with time but include Bernard Fanning, Kasey Chambers, Powderfinger, Alanis Morissette, Bonnie Raitt, Amy Shark, Lauren Daigle to name a few.
A seasoned performer, she has been working successfully for many years in varied lineups including with resident club bands, solo at festivals, with her duo, Alter Ego, and also fronts and directs her own 5 piece band. She has performed in shows all around Australia and internationally in clubs, hotels, private functions, festivals, weddings, and cruises.
Some performance highlights include Sydney’s ‘The Basement’ with her band, Tamworth Town Hall, Rooty Hill RSL Auditorium, Mounties Club, South Sydney Juniors, Blacktown Workers Diamond Auditorium supporting Normie Rowe, New Zealand’s Bay of Islands Country Rock festival and an award for best Rockabilly song at the Canberra Country Rock & Blues festival.
Today Merilyn continues to perform on a regular basis in local venues around Sydney and the East coast and also teaches singing, guitar and songwriting at her home studio.
She also has the need to write and create music so with more singles coming to the fore in the next 6 months expect a long awaited new album to follow soon!
“You’ll understand why Merilyn Steele is more than just another girl singer.”
Rosie Adsett, Country Update
“Love the roots-rock, soulful texture of “While You Can” by @merilynsteele” – Getty Images Music
Milestones and Awards
- 2020 – ‘Millionaire’ named semi-finalist with TSA Songwriters contest
- 2015 – ‘Whirlwind’ listed for APRA/AMCOS Song of the Year.
- 2015 – Semi-finalist with TSA Songwriters contest for ‘Whirlwind’ as Best Alt Country Blues/ Bluegrass song.
- 2013 – WINNER – Best Rockabilly song ‘Millionaire’ (CRS169) at Canberra Country Blues and Roots festival Nov 2013.
- 2009 – Top 5 finalist for Lyrics Only and Contemporary Song of the Year with Katherine CM Awards NT for ‘ The Spirit of Hermannsburg’.
- 2009 – Top 5 finalist for Comedy/Novelty song Katherine CM Awards NT for ‘Information Blues’.
- 2009 – Nominated finalist with Tamworth Songwriters Assn for Children’s Song of the Year with ‘If I Were a Bird’.
- 2007 – Winner – Female Vocalist of The Year – Horsham CM Awards, VIC.